Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Two Computers in One?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234567
TOPIC: Two Computers in One?
Re:Two Computers in One? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Virtualization allows to improve utilization (it's well-known that usually PC is idle most of the time). But it raises some licensing considerations as VMLite Workstation runs under Windows (correct me if I'm wrong). I think it would be better to use some bare-metal or Linux based hypervisor in such scenario.
b_oberon
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sounds interesting. Do you happen to have any pics of the device?
polraudio
Windows 7/Ubuntu 10
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male polraudio RMXP Unllimited polraudio77@hotmail.com Birthday: 11/23

Help support VMLite by adding this to your signature on other sites.
Code:

[url=http://www.vmlite.com][img]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6760/vmlite.png[/img][/url]

Re:Two Computers in One? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
For the license issue, you will have to purchase more Windows license for teh virtual machines. bare metal is not as efficient as you would think. Hosted virtualization might performing better. If you look at Xen/ESX, the device emulation is still needed to be done using some host services. So guest still goes to hypervisor, then redirected to dom0 or another layer for processing, could be even slower. This is a rather interesting debate, I don't want to go too far

As for pic, we don't want to reveal it yet, it's small device, less than 300g, 7cm long, with display output, audio in/out, keyboard, moust ports, etc.
admin
graph
User Offline

admin wrote:
If we provide a hardware device that allows you to use one computer as multiple PCs, will you be interested?

Say, the device costs about $100, it can hook up a monitor, keyboard and sound card, connect by one USB cable, or as wireless.

That sounds awesome! I'd be all over that for home theater (virtual-) PCs if it had a HDMI port and wireless N or Gig-ethernet (assuming home theater devices don't start shipping with Windows Phone like OSes that can access your home network).
linksep
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Two Computers in One? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I setup successfully the Guest XP mode using wireless USB and Mouse (Connect via USB receiver) and the host use laptop keyboard

BUT

How can i setup the Guest to use laptopkeyboard and the Host to use USB wireless Keyboard&Mouse? The reason is i want to play game on the host with external monitor instead on the guest (Better 3D support, better delay time), and i dont want to play game with laptop keyboard (It's hard to use becasue key spacing), laptop LCD. My wife will use the laptop with Guest OS to surf web, excel...

Did anyone try this? Or any suggestion? I appreciate for any help

Thanks & Best Rgds
Quang
asturias
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Two Computers in One? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 52
Nice to know wireless mouse worked !

This is good question, you want the guest to use built-in keyboard and mouse, right now it won't work, guest has to rely on USB devices.

Can you insert 2 wireless mouses? This way, you leave one to host

asturias wrote:
I setup successfully the Guest XP mode using wireless USB and Mouse (Connect via USB receiver) and the host use laptop keyboard

BUT

How can i setup the Guest to use laptopkeyboard and the Host to use USB wireless Keyboard&Mouse? The reason is i want to play game on the host with external monitor instead on the guest (Better 3D support, better delay time), and i dont want to play game with laptop keyboard (It's hard to use becasue key spacing), laptop LCD. My wife will use the laptop with Guest OS to surf web, excel...

Did anyone try this? Or any suggestion? I appreciate for any help

Thanks & Best Rgds
Quang
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 1234567