Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall?
Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall? 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
This is probably a stupid question. I am running VMLite XP Mode on a Windows 7 64 bit Home premium box. The Win 7 box has hardware firewall (in my Linksys router), Comodo software firewall, and Avast antivirus. Will these tools protect the activities of the VM machine? As a first pass, I installed Avast antivirus in the VM but do not have a software firewall installed.

Recommendations?
dbish
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall? 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
This is atually a good question.

I would recommend that you install anti virus inside vm, but no firwall is needed, since the vm can only get a physical ip from your router.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall? 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
The only reason I thought that another firewall inside the VM would be prudent is to stop some phone-home type malwares that would need to request permission (from the firewall program) to send my captured keystrokes or other private info to their home. I do not have an email program running inside the VM so that risk (attachments) is gone. My only risk would be for malware that piggybacks in on an http connection.

Would there be risk/conflicts or performance problems adding the firewall program?
dbish
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall? 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
There is no performance or other consequences, it's mainly some extra work.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: Does VM XP Mode need separate installation of virus program and firewall? 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for your help. I'll give the install a try - if no conflicts I'll leave it. If problems I'll rip it back out.

BTW - I have a two monitor setup and run the VM XP machine on one monitor and Win7 on the other. There are lots of cool tricks I have found with this setup - one keyboard and mouse and two functioning computers. Cool!

Thanks again.
dbish
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

That's a fancy setup.

Just be aware that seamless mode does not work across multiple monitors.
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 12