Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Can I use VMLite Remote to run Windows 7 from Ubuntu?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Can I use VMLite Remote to run Windows 7 from Ubuntu?
Can I use VMLite Remote to run Windows 7 from Ubuntu? 4 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
This may well be a stupid question, or it may be dealt with elsewhere. If so, I'm sorry, as I'm somewhat new to all of this. But here is my question:

I have been running Windows 7, and am reasonably satisfied with it (at least as satisfied as I can be with a Microsoft product). But I am planning to buy a new computer, and Microsoft in its infinite unwisdom is trying to force me to "upgrade" to Windows 8. I contacted HP, and their sales rep told me that uninstalling Windows 8 and installing Windows 7 on a new machine will void the warranty. Wonderful--I'm supposed to pay upwards of $1000 for a computer with no warranty.

From everything I've heard, Windows 8 is an absolute dog, and Windows 9 seems likely to be even worse (without even the possibility of avoiding the horrible "Metro" interface). I don't want this crap on my new computer, and would rather keep my old computer. So I'm exploring other possibilities.

One possibility I'm exploring is to install Ubuntu as my primary operating system, and running Windows 7 on a virtual machine, in order to use some of the Windows software I absolutely need. Will the VMLite Remote permit me to do this?
dugger69
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can I use VMLite Remote to run Windows 7 from Ubuntu? 4 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 86
you will need to use VirtualBox to run Windows on Ubuntu. Yes, you can definitely do it. However, if you plan to use Windows daily basis, running as virtual machine might not be a good idea, hardware supports are much poorer.
huisinro
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1