Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr
Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Any chance you were able to reproduce this? Any other suggestions based on the steps I layed out?

- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Huisinro,

Any update on this issue? Is there an alternate path to try than the one I posted?

Thank You,
- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
FreeLancer75,
Old thread, but I made progress with my BOOTMGR is MISSING error after reading the first or second reply. Restarted W7 DVD and clicked Repair This PC option and it repaired the BOOTMGR. I did do this after manually copying the BOOT folder and BOOTMGR file from a VBOX VDI that I couldn't get to boot with VBOOT. Also, I did copy over the vboot folder and run "Vbootedit.exe install /drive C: /mbr" which error-ed. But, I do feel it may have repaired the BOOTMGR with out either.
I also tested the boot this inside a quick VBOX VM. Now to test whether it will boot from the VBOOT menu on the harddrive. Assume it did, unless I follow up. Don't know if this helps you, but maybe others.
johnsmith12345
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Yes, I was able to finally get this to work, but with a few more steps.
Followed advice from here (reproduced at bottom):
superuser.com/questions/93738/use-bootable-vhd-with-virtualbox
Used EasyBCD to add BCD, then changed value to Boot with VisualBCD. Not sure if the last step was necessary. These are both Win7 only tools - did this inside a W7 VM. Huge plug for BootICE - I think the only tool one needs to change MBR and write BCD onto VHD.
Only was able to boot using HBCD menu for some reason (not with Grub4DOS or VBoot).
After changing MBR to BCD (then adding Grub4DOS with BootICE for manual entries), Window 7 finally loaded from the VHD entry (be sure to "save current system" and manually edit VHD file name).

To recap, I created a vhd in XP using VBootctl command "createhd x:\win7.vhd /fixed /size 10" (docs on VMLite page www.vmlite.com/vboot/instructions.html#vista-7-from-cdrom or with DISKPART here blogs.msdn.com/b/knom/archive/2009/04/07...setup-guideline.aspx), then installed to this vhd following same instructions (Shift F10, etc.) for "from a physical cdrom". I did use DISKPART to select disk, create partition and format, but the W7 setup does that. I think I ended up just using "c:\vboot\tools\x86\vbootctl mount x:\win7.vhd" (use Umount if necessary) and letting the dialog do the rest. Loaded vbootdsk.sys driver from C:\vboot\tools\x86\drivers\vbootdsk-w2k - don't know if that was necessary, it took me giving up after several attemps to just push "Next" after it told me I couldn't install on Disk1-Partition#, but it did. Then installed. Problem was in getting it to run through the second boot cycle. This was accomplished after changing the MBR as above.

After it finished, booting through HBCD. I added BCD to my HD, and now it boots. And I can still load it in VirtualBox. Hurrah. You can make copies of this manually and then load into VBox (much, much faster than any VBox methods of full 'cloning' or export). Another comment is if you get a "Failed to verify process integrity: Found executable memory at" error with supR3HardenedWinVerifyProcess in the details with lots of dll errors, this is Oracle's security method which snapshots your system. My solution after many attempts (a week at least ) was to install the old, old 3.0 version and then upgrade. That seems to have worked. Of course, you have to have the msi to uninstall, another reason for switching to VHDs. Why on god's earth would you name a folder "TEMP", if by removing the contents would cause your entire system (dot net MSIs) to fail???

So, I don't know if the "Repair this computer" was necessary. Now testing whether XMG_XP VHD_W7_Compact.exe "portable" vhd will boot. Then intend to repeat with fresh VHD, to confirm process as the first vhd still won't load, as it was a dynamic disk. NOTE:, if this doesn't seem to work in the other direction VBOX > Harddrive boot (= Native Boot?). VBOX creates a 'wierd' VHD with nested ntfs partitions, that it seems most loaders (grub, vboot, bcd) won't recognize. It would be great to eliminate CD drive and full occupation of computer from this process. Anyone have a solution for that?

I came here looking for an answer to the same question. This issue has been bugging me for a couple of months, so I needed to find a solution and I did. Even though this question has been marked as answered, a solution has not been given, so I'm here to fill the gap for all the other people on the hunt for an answer. Basically, it's the same procedure as making any non-bootable HDD bootable. You can use Windows' commandline tools for that. However, I used third party tools:
Mount the VHD in Windows (Control Panel --> Computer Management --> Disk Management --> Action --> Attach VHD)
Use a tool to install a BCD-Bootsector to the drive. I used NeoSmart's EasyBCD: Start the tool and choose BCD Deployment. Under "Create Bootable External Media" choose the drive name of the mounted VHD and click on "Install BCD".
Unmount the VHD by right-clicking on the corresponding "Disk*".
Add the VHD to a virtual machine in VirtualBox.

The VHD is bootable now. Depending on the operating system you're running on you might be set or run into problems. I tested this with Win8 x64. After installing the boot sector, I received a "winload.exe not found" error in VirtualBox. Here's how to fix it:
Mount the VHD in Windows again.
Download Visual BCD. Start it and choose "Store" --> "Open Store" and maneuver to the drive of the mounted VHD.
Select the file "BCD" in the folder "BCD" and click "open". Take note that the file has no file ending.
Click on the boot entry on the left side under "Loaders" and on the right you'll see its content listed.
Double click on "Application Device" and set "Type" and "Drive" to "BootDevice". Do the same for "OSDevice".
Close the store, unmount the VHD and boot it in VirtualBox. It should boot without problems now.
johnsmith12345
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/09/19 15:42 By johnsmith12345.Reason: add urls

Go to topPage: 1234