Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr
Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hello,

Still no luck. 12F bugcheck continues. Here are the steps I am performing to setup my system and my bootable vhd:

HARDWARE:
Samsung Chronos NP700Z5B-S01UB Laptop
1TB hybrid hard drive
16GB Patriot Rage XT ThumbDrive ( contains unzipped vBoot folder and ISO files listed above )

SOFTWARE:
vBoot 2.0 demo
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Retail 32/64 DVDs
Alternate: Samsung OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64 DVD
WIN7.ISO ( created with ISOBurner )
WIN7_64.ISO ( created with ISO Burner )
WIN7_OEM.ISO ( created with ISO Burner )

DOCUMENTATION:
VMLite vBoot 2.0 Instructions ( updated on Nov-17-11)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEPS:
1. Insert Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade 32 DVD.

2. Power on laptop and boot to Windows 7 installation GUI.

3. Before clicking any GUI buttons, press [SHIFT] + [F10] to open a Command prompt window.

4. Type DISKPART and hit [ENTER].

5. Type LIST DISK and hit [ENTER]. Determine which listed disk you will use. I use DISK 1, the physical part of my hybrid hard drive.

6. Type SELECT DISK 1 and hit [ENTER].

7. Type LISK PARTITION and hit [ENTER]. Determine which listed partition you will use. I use PARTITION 1, but keep Partition 2 which is the Samsung OEM recovery partition.

8. Type SELECT PARTITION 1 and hit [ENTER].

9. Type DELETE PARTITION and hit [ENTER]. This command helps me confirm that I am eliminating any previous O/S boot files or master boot records.

10. Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY and hit [ENTER]. This command will recreate a primary partition using all available free space left on the hard drive.

11. Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK and hit [ENTER].

12. Type ASSIGN LETTER=C and hit [ENTER].

13. Type ACTIVE and hit [ ENTER]. This command should make the new partition bootable.

14. Type EXIT and hit [ENTER]. This command exits the DiskPart utility and returns you to the standard command prompt.

15. Insert USB ThumbDrive containing the unzipped vBoot folder and any ISO files you may have created.

16. Type F: and hit [ENTER]. Determine which drive letter your ThumbDrive has been assigned to by entering a drive letter with a colon and pressing [ENTER] then typing DIR and hit [ENTER] to see the drive contents.. On my system, it ends up being F:.

17. From the F: prompt, Type MD C:\VBOOT and hit [ENTER]. This will create a VBOOT directory on the C: drive for the next step.

18. From the F: prompt, Type XCOPY /S F:\VBOOT C:\VBOOT and hit [ENTER]. This will copy all files and subfolders from the vBoot directory on the ThumbDrive to the VBOOT directory on the C: drive.

19. From the F: prompt, Type COPY *.ISO C:\ and hit [ENTER]. this will copy all three ISO files from the harddrive to the C: drive.

20. Type C: and hit [ENTER].

21. Type CD VBOOT and hit [ENTER].

22. Type VBOOTEDIT.EXE INSTALL /DRIVE C: /MBR and hit enter. This installs vBoot to the master boot record area of drive C: according to 'VMLite VBoot 2.0 Instructions' step '2.2 Installing VBoot Loader directly to a hard disk or external USB drive'.

23. Type CD TOOLS\x86 and hit [ENTER].

24. Type VBOOTCTL MAKE C:\WIN7.VHD C:\WIN7.ISO /SIZE 80 and hit [ENTER]. This should create an 80GB VHD file on C: with the Windows 7 installation files and vBoot drivers preinstalled, ready-to-go, according to 'VMLite VBoot 2.0 Instructions' step 7. 'Install Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 2008 to a virtual disk file using a simple command line'.

25. During step 24., the VBOOTCTL MAKE command will scan the ISO file for installation types and list them. I choose #3 WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM as this is the version I have a license key for. After this command has completed, it states that C:\WIN7.VHD has been created successfully.

26. Type CD C:\VBOOT and hit [ENTER].

27. Type VBOOTEDIT CREATE TITLE="WINDOWS 7 VHD BOOT" HARDDISK= C:\WIN7.VHD and hit [ENTER]. *First Error received! This command states "Cannot find system partition to load the config file". To compensate, I type CD GRUB and hit [ENTER] then type "NOTEPAD GRUB.CFG and hit [ENTER]. I manually remove all MENUENTRY statements except for the "Windows 7 Boot" entry. I click (X) to close Notepad and click (YES) to save the changes.

28. Eject the Windows 7 DVD and power off the laptop. It is necessary on this laptop to power it off and back on to change your boot choice.

29. Remove the ThumbDrive.

30. Power on the laptop.

31. The laptop will boot to the Grub vBoot boot menu. After the changes made in STEP 27, there should only be one entry "Windows 7 Boot". Hit [ENTER] or wait for the 10 second countdown timer to finish.

32. The Windows 7 boot animation starts up. *Second Error received! After ~10 seconds, a Windows BSOD flashes on the screen for 0.5 seconds then the screen goes blank and the laptop reboots back to the Grub vBoot boot menu and the cycle continues until the laptop is powrred off or the default countdown timer is stopped by pressing a key.

CONCLUSION:
I can not make any progress past Step 32. In Step 32., The BSOD is displayed so briefly that I could not make out any details with the naked eye. I was able to utilize my snartphone camera in Video mode to capture the boit process, then go back and replay the video so I could Pause the BSOD screen.

The BSOD details are:
"...An initialization failure occured while attempting to boot from a VHD.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X0000012F (0X00000001, 0XC00000E5, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide in this matter. I am really interested in making this product work.

Thank You,
- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 86
Thanks for the detailed steps. I will try to reproduce this.ou

C00000E5 indicates an internal error has occured.

Can you mount the vhd file, and check if the following files exists?

\Boot
\Bootmgr
\Windows\system32\drivers\vbootbus.sys
\Windows\system32\drivers\vbootfs.sys
\Windows\system32\drivers\vbootmp.sys

also load the registry hive file from mounted vhd, it's in \windows\system32\config\System
and check if there vbootbus, vbootfs, vbootmp service keys: (assume you load to S1 key)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\S1\ControlSet001\Services\vbootbus
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\S1\ControlSet001\Services\vbootfs
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\S1\ControlSet001\Services\vbootmp

i suspect somehow the vboot drivers are not loaded.
huisinro
graphgraph

Hello huisinro,

Successfully mounted vhd file. Listed files do exist.

Vhd mounted as F:\
f:\boot. Folder
f:\bootmgr 383,562 bytes
f:\Windows\System32\Drivers\vbootbus.sys. 34,264 bytes
f:\Windows\System32\Drivers\vbootfs.sys. 47,576 bytes
f:\Windows\System32\Drivers\vbootmp.sys. 666,584 bytes

All three registry keys exists in Windows 7 vhd registry and are populated ( not empty ).

Thank You,
- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 86
is F: partition (the vhd windows drive) active?
huisinro
graphgraph

huisinro,

Is that not done automatically per Step 7 of the referenced vBoot 2.0 instructions? I'll check tomorrow but I would assume that after I chose the "Windows 7 Boot" in Step 31 of my post, if the partition were not "active" it would not try to boot at all, right?

Thank You,
- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Huisinro,

Vhd partition is active:

DISKPART:
Partition 1
Type: 07
Hidden: No
Active: Yes
OffSet in Bytes: 1048576

Volume: Volume 3
Letter: F
Label: (none)
Fs: NTFS
Type: Partition
size: 15GB
Info: (none)

Thank You,
- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234