Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr
Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

I'm playing with the vBoot v2 demo and having some trouble. After the first step of a Windows 7 installation (drive selection/file copy) the system reboots and gives me a Windows "Missing BootMgr" error message. I have tried installing from x86, 64 DVDs and a 64 ISO with the same result. My goal is to install all/any operating systems from vhd on this system w/o having to first install a 'master' OS to the root partition.

Here is how I have my system setup to start the install:

1) I have cleared my Samsung Series 7 laptop factory drive of all partitions except the OEMRECOVERY partition which is at the end of the drive.

2) i create one 900GB partition formatted NTFS. It boots as drive C:

3) I copy the entire unzipped vBoot folder to C: and run the vBoot install as directed in the online instructions:
Vbootedit.exe install /drive C: /mbr

4) I edit the GRUB.CFG file to add: ( .vhd & .iso files are on root of C: )
menuentry "Windows 7 Install" {
vboot harddisk=(hd0,1)/win7.vhd cdrom=(hd0,1)/win7.iso boot=cdrom

5) I reboot the laptop and select "Windows 7 Install" from the vBoot startup menu.

6) Once the Windows 7 install GUI has started, I start a Command window with SHIFT+F10.

7) I then load the virtual disk drivers from x86 or amd64 folder as :
vbootctl.exe setup

8) I select the vhd partition during setup and the first part of the install/copy completes normally.

9) The laptop then reboots to continue the Windows 7 install. Right after BIOS post, I get the "Missing BootMgr" message and the system stops.

Does anyone have a recomendation of a way to overcome this? I would appreciate any help in this matter.

- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 86
can you check if the vhd contains \Boot folder and Bootmgr file. It usually has 2 partitions. You can mount the vhd using this command after boot from cdrom iso.

vbootctl mount c:\win7.vhd

then open notepad.exe, and click open to view the drives
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello Huisinro,

After the vhd is mounted, it is setup as one partition with "Boot" folder and "bootmgr" file on same level as "Windows" and "Program Files". It is not in a seperate 100MB partition as I would expect when Windows 7 installs to a physical drive.

I also found a different way to create the vhd from the vBoot instructions. Using Section "7 - Install Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 2008 to a virtual disk file using a simple command line", It is much more simple to create and propagate a new vhd file using the first two commands. Laptop reboots to vBoot GUI and will start loading the Windows 7 vhd (showing animated Windows logo). Right before the Windows 7 GUI appears, I get a quick flash of a BSOD. The error states, "An initialization failure occured while attempting to boot from a VHD." I rechecked and my laptop time/date is set to 1/01/2012. Unzipped vBoot files are showing 2011 dates, so I should not be receiving the BSOD due to system/file date exceeding demo date.

Thank You,
- FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

do you have enough space on the hd to hold the fully expanded vhd capacity? the vhd may expand to its max capacity.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: Windows 7 VHD Missing BootMgr 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Huisinro,

Good thought, but the base partition on the physical drive is 900GB NTFS. The vhd is only 100GB. I will wipe and try a 14GB default size vhd just to see if it changes anything.

Thank You,
-FreeLancer75
FreeLancer75
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

also check if the vhd partition that has Boot folder and file is marked as Active. you can run "diskmgmt.msc" to check that.
huisinro
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234