Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Ubuntu Install
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Ubuntu Install
Ubuntu Install 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok, so i've installed Ubuntu through Vmware onto a vhd, added the vmware tools and all, now I want to natively boot from that vhd.

HOWEVER, i don't want to use the prebuilt initrd and vmlinuz kerlels on the site. i want to use the ones installed. I added the vloop.ko driver into the installation. The steps were as follows:

1 - created vhd with windows 7 diskpart.

2 - in Vmware created new virtual machine using vhd as primary disk. The vhd is SDA and / is on sda1.

3 - after install, ran updates and installed vmware tools.

4 - obtained files vloop.ko and vlosetup from pre-built image available on this site, and put vlosetup in directory /sbin/ and vloop.ko in directory /lib/modules/...28-generic/extra/ on my vhd.

5 - edited /etc/modules and added vloop in the list of modules to load at boot time. did the same with /etc/initramfs-tools/modules/

6 - in a terminal ran 'sudo depmod' then 'sudo update-initramfs -u'

7 - dragged vmlinuz-2.6**** and initrd out of VMware and onto C:\ (renamed to vmlinuz and initrd.img)

8 - in grub.cfg in vboot directory i have lines:

menuentry "VHD Ubuntu 10.10" {
insmod vhd
insmod ntfs
linux (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 vloop=/ubuntu.vhd vlooppart=p1 quiet splash
initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.img
}

where hd0,1 is my windows partition (drive c:). i ran search -f /ntldr just to verify and it confirmed hd0,1.

grub can load the kernel and initrd, and when the kernel starts to load I can see the vmlite vboot drivers loading up first as i would when i loaded the pre-built vhd provided on this site, however after a few seconds i get an error and it drops me to a command prompt. Ubuntu does not continue to load after that.
rip1999eternal
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ubuntu Install 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 52
you need to modify some scripts, and regenerate a new initrd. It's a bit involving.

The easiest way is to copy the vloop folder from our pre-build vhd file to your vhd, then do "sudo make".

////////////////// readme file /////////////////
# Copyright (C) 2011 VMLite, Inc.
#
# www.vmlite.com
#
# Authors: Huihong Luo and Bin He
#
# This file is part of VMLite VBoot for Linux project, as available from www.vmlite.com.
# VBoot Linux is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY of any kind.

If your Linux Ubuntu system has exactly same version as VBoot supports, you can simply run the following to install VBoot:

"sudo make"

which installs VBoot drivers, modified initramfs scripts, as well as creating a new initrd file in /boot that can be used to boot from a virtual disk file.

This folder contains VBoot Linux binary files.

vloop.ko is the Linux kernel module that provides virtual disk support.
vlosetup is the user space program that you can use to mount virtual disk files. It supports VHD, VMDK and VDI formats.

The other folders contain scripts that must be modified in order to boot from a virtual disk file.

initramfs-tools --- the original Ubuntu scripts that VBoot patch is modified from.

initramfs-tools-vboot --- the modified scripts that supports VBoot. You can diff this folder to initramfs-tools to find our the difference. If your system has same scripts as inside initramfs-tools, then you can simply copy this modified version to overwrite your system files.

initramfs-backup --- if you run "make" to install the modified scripts in initramfs-tools-vboot, this folder contains the backup copy of your system's original files.

After you have install VBoot in your Linux system, you will need to use and configure VBoot Loader to boot the virtual disk file.

visit www.vmlite.com for more info.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: Ubuntu Install 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
sweet. where is that folder located?
rip1999eternal
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Ubuntu Install 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 52
have you download the ubuntu-10.10 vhd? if so, it's inside the /home/user/vloop folder.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re:Ubuntu Install 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
thanks for the quick reply. will attempt and post results and steps.

Thanks again.
rip1999eternal
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Ubuntu Install 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
ok so that was unexpectedly easy...

create vhd.

install ubuntu as normal in vm, run updates,

copy in /home/user/vloop... folder from pre-made vhd

in a terminal type 'make'

i looked that the init scripts to rebuild the initrd, pretty nifty. I could use that idea to load a custom filesystem.squashfs into ram and boot from that if i decide to do a ram boot...

i took a look through the contents of the vloop folder in the users home directory and found a few files. looks like the original vloop.c might have been taken out if there was one. any place i can find the original c source file to rebuild it?

www.cyberciti.biz/tips/build-linux-kerne...nel-source-tree.html

as per the above link, i can compile it from source against the kernel headers of another kernel version if i want to easily install it in another version.
rip1999eternal
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12