Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Ubuntu 10.04 VHD available for download
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...45678910...14
TOPIC: Ubuntu 10.04 VHD available for download
Re:Ubuntu 10.04 VHD available for download 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi everyone,

I usually work on Windows, but a lot of people told me that Ubuntu is a very good OS.
So I would like to test it as a virtual machine.
I downloaded 'ubuntu-1004-desktop-i386' and I unzipped the .7z file.
Then I took only the .vhd file and I tried to create a new virtual machine using the downloaded .vhd file (using VirtualPC for Windows 7 64bit).
When I try to start the new virtual machine I can see for a while a bios-like screen and then the application closes.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Alberto
IngAU
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Ubuntu 10.04 VHD available for download 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 52
It must be to do with the settings. We tried to make the vm work with VMLite/VirtualBox.
You can try to adjust the settings for VPC.

By the way, you don't have to run it as a vm, you can use the VHD file to boot your physical computer.
admin
graph
User Offline

IngAU wrote:
Hi everyone,

I usually work on Windows, but a lot of people told me that Ubuntu is a very good OS.
So I would like to test it as a virtual machine.
I downloaded 'ubuntu-1004-desktop-i386' and I unzipped the .7z file.
Then I took only the .vhd file and I tried to create a new virtual machine using the downloaded .vhd file (using VirtualPC for Windows 7 64bit).
When I try to start the new virtual machine I can see for a while a bios-like screen and then the application closes.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Alberto

Hi,
VirtualPc just supports Windows OS.
srazi
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Thank You, for this great download. It is nice to have a chance, to try Linux without fragging Your existing filesystems.
But I have a problem, installing 3rd party graphics drivers, provided by ATI or Nvidia. If I install them, even with a direct download, or with ubuntu software center, or by activating the hardware drivers, the system becames unbootable. Sometimes with a kernel panic, or it shows a screen, like shown in screenshots before.
What is wrong?
It seems to me, that after installation of these drivers, the system is unable to mount the required filesystems....
What I can do, to change this?
Thanks in advance

Currently, I am downloading the new version of Your 64Bit Ubuntu, and will try this.
It is good to know, that the repair of a wrecked ubuntu system take only 10min. Just copy the fresh install over the broken version; but it is a little annoying
carsten987
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/06/04 03:25 By carsten987.

I experienced the same issue when installing ATI drivers in Linux Mint. I think the /boot files are updated or something. Anyway, replacing the files in /boot solved the issue for me.
jagflashback
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Ubuntu 10.04 VHD available for download 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 52
Thanks for the report. Updating is a problem we expected, as vboot is not integrated with Linux distributions. If update changes kernel version, or replace the initrd, it will have problems. In order to boot the vhd, the initrd patched with vmlite must be used.

When you install a graphic driver, it most likely changes the initrd. If you know the exact changes, you can manually add changes to the vboot ready initrd, then it will work.

We will test this.
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 1...45678910...14