Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
exact vm created from host OS instance
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install
VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I am using a Sony Vaio with an Intel Core2 Duo processor (P7350 @ 2GHz)and WIN7-64 as the host OS. When creating a new machine for SUSE intel/amd64 or Debian intel/amd4 I get an error telling me that I only have a 32 bit machine. Is this a configuration problem on my part or is it that VMLite Workstation only provides a 32 bit interface layer? The processor (P7350) does not have hardware virtualization , something I didn't realize when I bought the machine. I'm new to the whole virtualization thing so guidance and technicial details would be great help. Thanks
jonesdb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 86
to run 64-bit guest, hardware virtualization (VT-x or AMD-v) is required. I don't know any other vm software that supports running 64-bit guest w/o VT-x or AMD-v.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks. Guess I'll just have to wait for a laptop upgrade. Too bad I didn't realize the need for VT-x or AMD-v before I bought the laptop. Thanks again for the quick reply
jonesdb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 86
most likely your cpu has that support, but disabled from BIOS. It's very rare that 64-bit cpu does not support hardware virtualization.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: VMLite Workstation not supporting 64 Lunix OS install 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Huisinro,
Thanks for the encouragement, but it turns out that the P7350 doesn't support hardware virtualizaion. I know it sounds strange for a 64 bit CPU, but that is the way it is. I understand that Apple bought a special stepping of these processors (P7350) that had virtualization enabled for use in a Mac, but that the generally sold stepping (and the one that Sony bought) had virtualization disabled at the hardware level. I too, thought it was a BIOS issue at first as Sony did a special BIOS that didn't support virtualization but latter updated the BIOS under pressure from customers that had virtualization avaiable on the processor, but not in the BIOS. I already have the updated BIOS, but still no virtualization option. Checking the Intel site, P7350 doesn't support virtualization.
jonesdb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1