Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Curing the ""no drive can be found with the required/correct UUID" Error Message
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
exact vm created from host OS instance
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Curing the ""no drive can be found with the required/correct UUID" Error Message
Curing the ""no drive can be found with the required/correct UUID" Error Message 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hello, all—

I recently had a problem with VMLWS, including inability to open existing VMLites and also to create new VMLites using an existing VHD storage file. I didn't find a solution to the latter problem here in the forums (may just have missed it, though), but some on-line research turned up the explanation of the error message and the surprisingly simple cure.

Here's the site where I found the tech info: serverfault.com/questions/264307/change-the-uuid-of-a-vhd

In a nutshell, it's VBox that creates the UUID associated with a VMLite drive file...and the ledger that's kept considers each UUID to be associated only with the file originally created. So, in order to create a VM that uses an existing VHD drive file, that file needs to be given a different UUID. Just renaming or relocating the VHD file is futile.

It's exceptionally easy to do this. The tool needed is VBoxManage.exe, which is installed when one installs VMLWS. VBoxManage is invoked via command line, and the syntax to crank out a new UUID for an existing VHD file is as follows:

VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid "filename"

VBOxManage(.exe) is located in the installation folder of VMLite(.exe). The "internal commands" text must be included in the command line. I'm not sure that enclosing the pathname of the target VHD file is mandatory, but the full pathname must be used unless the VHD resides in the VMLWS installation folder.

Hope this helps someone.

Shen
Shenzie
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1