Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Which Buslogic driver to use
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
forum for VMLite VirtualApps Player, a sandbox for Windows based on application virtualization
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Which Buslogic driver to use
Re: Which Buslogic driver to use 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Shenzie,

had some success using the VMWare SCSI driver which you can find at kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/sea...p;externalId=1006956

The driver must have been based on the MS Buslogic driver which I couldn't find on the net anymore. It allows me to boot into XP using SCSI Buslogic. However after a while the XP client just hangs and I have to force a power off of the machine. You can re-create the issue by copying large amounts of data between two SCSI disks of type buslogic.

Would be great if you could resolve this because all my VMWare XP clients are using SCSI Buslogic.

The driver I tested is attached.

You need to attach a SCSI Controller of type Buslogic and boot you XP from IDE. Install the driver than move your disks to the SCSI Controller. You have to remove the IDE controller otherwise it wouldn't boot under Windows 7 64-bit.

Let me know how you go.

Dieter
File Attachment:
File Name: scsi_buslogic_from_VMWare.zip
File Size: 13934
aussie_bauer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Which Buslogic driver to use 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Thx for the upload and the link, Dieter.

I've now been able to get the VM's Buslogic SCSI controller itself to be recognized and "blessed" in the Device Manager in the XP VM, but I've had zero success getting either the Onstream tape device or the HP scanner to be recognized. Unfortunately, these two SCSI devices, especially the tape device, would be very good to have available in the WinXP VM.

I looked for a way in the VM settings to attach a device to the SCSI controller, but all choices offered were HD image files.

Two other problems were (1) after setting the VMW driver for the Buslogic controller and doing a series of XP updates (via Windows Update), powering off the VM would leave it in a state where it could no longer be powered on (no green "start" icon) until I restarted the Win7 host machine...and (2) before powering off the VM (and experiencing Prob. 1) launching some applications—the Control Panel, for instance—would cause the VM to reboot. These were repeatable, and I presume that it has to do with what Admin suggested about incompatibility between VML VMs and VMWare drivers.

(The frustrating thing is that the two SCSI devices are recognized and work correctly in an XP "physical" environment created by booting...and they also are recognized and work correctly in a VMWare Win98 VM. Of course, in the "physical" XP environment the SCSI card is an Adaptec model, and so the appropriate driver is installed. On the other hand, the VMWare Win98 VM uses a Buslogic SCSI controller entity, with no difficulty at all.)

Maybe SCSI-related things will improve with VMLite WS 4.

Shenzie
Shenzie
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Which Buslogic driver to use 7 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Only tested disk drives with the drivers I gave you. So can't really comment on your results. Just hope 4.0 is much better, really much better otherwise I am back to VMWare Server.....

Dieter
aussie_bauer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12