Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
MyOldPCs forum
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation
MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for the prompt response for a download link request.

I attempted to virtualise a vista machine I have using MOP. At first, the program through up the error _EnumBasicDisks():DeviceIoControl() failed.

However, after clicking ok a couple of times, it successfully found my drive and partitions etc. One is an EISA partition, one is the vista partition, and one is an empty partition.

The conversion seemed to go fine, I chose vhd output and no errors were generated. The MOP and log file indicated no errors.

When I used this as the boot hard drive inside a new VM, the system simply doesn't boot. I tried repairing it from the vista installation disk (iso attached on primary IDE). When I try and load it in safe mode (it gets to the stage saying windows did not shutdown successfully) it begins to load drivers but fails after loading crcdisk.sys and then hangs.

I've tried many other methods of trying to virtualise it, including microsofts disk2vhd and vmwares converter. I was really hoping this method would work.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Tomas
benzas
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 52
most likely, one device driver is causing the problem.

Can you boot your host in safe mode? and check what driver is loading after crcdisk.sys, that driver is most likely causing the hang, and you can disable it from registry.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re:MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I booted the host in safe mode and annoyingly crcdisk.sys is the last driver loaded before safe mode is entered.

I tried to enable boot logging in the VM of the host, but due to startup failure, I can only access safe mode or normal. No boot logging option is provided, even after attempted repair using windows vista install media and a reboot.

I ran a full bootlog on the host and bootlog can be found attached to this post if that helps.

Also, on my computer, the first partition is an EISA Fat formatted partition. Could this be causing the problem? If I remove this partition and extend the C: into it and reset the boot parition would this help.

I tried to re-run the MOP program and save the VHD over my network to another PC, but this time it just hang at the end saying it was trying to mount the volume, but I left it all day and it never progressed. It had got to 100% and the timer was no longer counting, but a MOP log file was not generated and eventually I had to cancel. I am re-running again now.

Many thanks for all your help.
File Attachment:
File Name: ntbtlog1.txt
File Size: 176810
benzas
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 52
I wil examine the boot log file, thanks.

Don't run over network, it will have the exact issue of mounting the virtual disk. Our driver doesn't support mounting from network share.

I don't think EISA would matter, but you can definitely try to just convert your system volume, choose convert from volume to virtual disk.

The most likely cause is a driver not working under virtual evironment, we just need to identify it and disable it.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re:MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok, I will try a conversion again, of just the system volume. Does the driver support mounting from a USB attached HDD?

I will also try disabling the crcdisk.sys driver in a previous VM and see if that works.

Thanks for all your help.
benzas
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:MyOldPcs VHD output won't boot under VMlite Workstation 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 52
yes, it supports any USB or other types of attached external drives.
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 12