Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine
Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
I have a slightly different problem with the same error message.

My XP sessions began failing (probably after a couple of premature shutdowns) and gave me blackscreen startups so I deleted the current .vhd file and replaced it with a ten-day old backup (always keep a backup ).

However, this is now giving me the error message on startups:

VD: error VERR_VD_VHD_INVALID_HEADER ....(VERR_VD_VHD_INVALID_HEADER)

I can't use the Discard option because it's not highlighted.

I'll explore two options, repeating the copy of the backup, or creating a new XP by importing the backup, but any other options or suggestions will be helpful.
mbworldproducer
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I have the same problem - I had to turn my PC off because it didn't respond anymore. Now I cannot open the vhd-file any more. Is there any way to fix the corrupt vhd-header?
Thank you
roundandaround
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
roundandaround wrote:
I have the same problem - I had to turn my PC off because it didn't respond anymore. Now I cannot open the vhd-file any more. Is there any way to fix the corrupt vhd-header?
Thank you

I'd like to see some form of recovery facility too.

My only solution to-dater was to recreate the VHD from source. Fortunately, in anticipation, I kept a copy of the original source project file (a Windows Virtual Machine file) to import and revive most of my VHD file.

mbworldproducer
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12