Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

vboot 2 - immutable switch not working
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12345
TOPIC: vboot 2 - immutable switch not working
Re:vboot 2 - immutable switch not working 6 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 86
This snapshot bug is fixed now, vboot-v2.zip is updated, pls re-download it, and run "vbootctl update current" from inside vbooted vhd instance.
huisinro
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:vboot 2 - immutable switch not working 6 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 1
great work! immutable is working now
reallinus
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:vboot 2 - immutable switch not working 6 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 1
Thank you very much, snapshot and immutable working now!
performance is great!
But, immutable child of a snapshot dont working.
with the parameter immutable with vboot base disk and snapshot
immutable only apply to the base disk only
and dont work for immutable snapshot.

I wonder if you got a option for the path of the immutable_child?
For making the immutable_child on a other disk then my SSD
thank you
Natrix
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/11/18 03:28 By Natrix.

Re:vboot 2 - immutable switch not working 6 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 86
if you want a permanent child disk, try press 's' at boot time, it will give you a chance to enter a path for the child, then create it.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re:vboot 2 - immutable switch not working 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 1
Actually the permanent child disk work perfectly.
And I never take the grub2 boot loader to modify the grub.cfg because of strange results sometimes...

But, what I want to do is a immutable child disk of my base disk or/and his snapshot, and this immutable child disk have to be on another Hard-Drive then his base disk.
Like in the exemple that I use a SSD drive for my base disk, and I use normal Hard-drive for his snapshot and there immutable child disk. ( great setup for speed up read of the SSD, spare write and then increased life expectancy, almost need if you got SSDs drives in a striped Raid0 who will disable the TRIM function, needed for increase life expectancy as well only support in one SSD drive configuration.)

But, the vboot v.2 beta dont work with immutable child disk of snapshot.
I was using this on vboot v.1 it work very well.
And another boot parameter who would be great is: immutable_dir="(LABEL=Snapshot)/"
I know is possible to put the immutable child disk where I want, but only when the base disk have a snapshot on another HardDrive, where the immutable child disk is writen with the snapshot.
But would be great to have this functionnality without having to create a snapshot on another HardDrive for then put it immutable.
A command like:
vboot hardrive="(LABEL=SSD)/windows.vhd" immutable_dir="(LABEL=Snapshot)/"
or
vboot hardrive="(LABEL=SSD)/windows.vhd" immutable_path="(LABEL=Snapshot)/"
and even more if vboot support rambooting.
vboot hardrive="(LABEL=SSD)/windows.vhd" immutable_mem="(SIZE=8)"
redirecting all write to a snapshot disk taken in the OS invisible physical Memory at boot.
Considering the arrival of Desktop system with 24/48/64 Go of Ram Memory and SSDs Drive at low cost for building a Raid0, VBoot would be a number #1 feature for these new Desktop performance, and life expectancy as well for the system OS but even more for every type of SSD Hard-Drives, but most on them SSD low cost who dont support TRIM or/and if there are setup in a strip Raid0 where TRIM cannot be enabled.
So, by spare all the write on it the life expectancy of a Solid State Drive will be extended to his maximum in theory.
But system OS with volatile immutable like this would have one problem if the User want to commit change to the system.
Would be nice to have feature in VBoot like commiting change to base disk.
Just like in Windows ThinPC or Windows Standard 7 Embedded, where the function is called:
Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) and File-Based Write Filter (FBWF). Who have the possibility to write differential file on another partiton or in Ram for then let the user chose when to commit change to the base system while the OS is running.
VBoot would likely be more great then these Microsoft feature who are only enabled in expansive Microsoft OS like Embedded.

p.s. VBoot v.2 beta performance is more great then I expected. Thank you !
Natrix
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:vboot 2 - immutable switch not working 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 86
Thanks for the suggestions. Will spend more time reading it.

for the memory part, we will release another product, mBoot, that can ram boot regular windows installations, in addition to vhd files. Yes, we will do much more on this, as RAM is not efficiently used today. We will add the normal way of RAM boot to vboot soon, such as loading the disk to memory, or put snapshots to memory, etc.
huisinro
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12345